Technology asset for Vulcan: VULSORB®.
To efficiently produce lithium from the subsurface brine, Vulcan has developed its own in-house aluminate-based sorbent VULSORB® to capture the lithium before the brine is returned to the subsurface. VULSORB® is the potential to be a technology asset for Vulcan and is a testament to our team’s commitment to build value in-house. VULSORB® uses and improves on the same A-DLE technology that has been used commercially for over two decades, and currently accounts for 10% of global lithium production.
In-house sorbent: VULSORB®
Vulcan has successfully developed, tested, and demonstrated its own in-house lithium extraction sorbent VULSORB®. The aluminate-based sorbent shows higher performance and lower water consumption for lithium extraction compared to commercially available sorbents. To achieve better optimisation, create IP value in-house and control over its process and supply chain, Vulcan has developed its own proprietary sorbent, VULSORB®, which is synthesised via a standard 3–step process. This highlights Vulcan’s strong passion for innovation and underlines the Company’s pioneering spirit. Based on test results achieved, Vulcan decided to use a sorbent with lithium aluminate intercalate structure for the A-DLE process.
This is Self-developed.
Naturally pre-heated brine as process driver
Selectively extracted lithium
VULSORB® as first choice
De-risking A-DLE on Upper Rhine Valley Brine Our activities.
- Technology selected in scoping work 2018-2020.
- 3 years of in-house laboratory testwork successfully completed ’21-’23.
- Technology de-risked on our brine chemistry (i.e., salinity, Li content, chemical composition, temperature) at multiple producing well sites.
- Pilot Plant PP1 is operational since spring ‘21. Lithium hydroxide “better than battery grade” already produced.
- 5000+ cycles in 2 ½ years of stable, non-stop operation.
- Larger Pilot Plant P1A in operation since fall ’22, with total 2000+ cycles of operation.
- Data from pilot plants used to optimise and complete engineering design for Definitive Feasibility Study and Bridging Phase.
Ready to move into execution, construction and operation of commercial plant.